Parks & Recreation
Chapman Hill Ice Rink Opens October 2, 2020!
Animas River Trail North & Oxbow Park River Access
The City of Durango Parks and Recreation Department is pleased to announce the public opening of Oxbow Park river access and a new segment of the Animas River Trail from East 36th Street to Oxbow Park and Preserve. Special amenities at Oxbow Park include public parking, a paved boat launch, improved river access, changing rooms and a public restroom. The City of Durango would like to thank adjacent neighbors and the community for their patience throughout construction. The portion of the Animas River Trail from Animas City Park to East 36th Street remains under construction and is currently CLOSED to the public. Please respect all construction fencing and signage.
For more information please visit the ART North Extension web page.
2019 Parks and Recreation Annual Report
Lake Nighthorse New Beach is Open!
Parks and Recreation Program Activities - NEW format
Due to COVID-19 there will not be the traditional Enrichment Guide, but instead programs will be listed in 3 month increments on the Parks and Recreation website. Please visit the Parks and Recreation Programs and Activities page here.
Parks and Recreation Department 2020 - 2024 Draft Strategic Plan
The City of Durango Parks and Recreation Department Draft Strategic Plan for 2020 – 2024 has been released for public comment. The Strategic Plan identifies capital projects and areas of emphasis for the next five years using the dedicated Parks and Recreation sales tax funds. Written comments about the Draft Strategic Plan can be submitted to the Durango Parks and Recreation Department at firstname.lastname@example.org and should be submitted by August 31, 2020.
Parks and Recreation Indoor Facility Modified Schedules:
- Durango Community Recreation Center has reopened! Please visit the Recreation Center web page for more information and guidelines.
- Parks and Recreation Administration Office is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Durango Gymnastics is open and hosting a modified programming schedule.
- Chapman Hill is the site for the Summer Gametime program. There are limited hours for public skate and Children’s birthday parties. Please see the Chapman schedules here.
Other Parks and Recreation Information
- NEW Durango P&R Sports Website! For all your Youth & Adult Sports information, like schedules, rosters, coach communication and more, visit: DurangoRecreation.com
- The City receives the 40th Year Tree City USA AWARD! Read about it here
- For Information on E-bikes on Natural Surface Trails, please see the E-bike web page: E-bikes on Natural Surface Trails Community Process and information here.
- POST & Recreation Master Plan: Parks, Open Space, Trails & Recreation Master Plan, Adopted January 2020 For more information on the process and technical reports that went into the master plan visit DurangoParksPlan.com
- Fire Adapted Durango Partnership mitigation plan for Durango’s wildland-urban interface zone (WUI) information here: View the Fire Adapted Durango Partnership Presentation here. Access website links to Fire Adapted Durango Partnership organizations here.
- Cundiff Park & Santa Rita Park Planning & Design visit: Current Projects
- Durango Mesa Park Area Plan: Durango Mesa Area Plan