Energy used in buildings as well as for streetlighting, water pumping and other services accounts for approximately 67% of community-wide greenhouse gas emissions and 73% of municipal emissions.
In August, 2019, Durango City Council adopted a goal to achieve 50% renewable electricity by 2030 and 100% by 2050. Meeting this target, while also increasing energy efficiency and reducing the emissions associated with natural gas use will be critical to achieving community-wide and municipal greenhouse gas emissions goals.
The city of Durango is taking the following steps to reduce energy consumption, save money and cut municipal greenhouse gas emissions:
- Investment Grade Audit of city facilities completed in 2019 to identify energy and water efficiency opportunities, and solar PV potential.
- Purchase 100% green power through LPEA's Just One Block Program.
- On-site solar PV generation at the Airport Terminal and solar thermal generation at the Recreation Center.
- Recognized as a Green Power Partner and Green Power Community by the EPA.
- Methane gas is converted to electric energy at the Santa Rita Water Reclamation Facility.
- Synthetic oils recovered from city fleet vehicles are used to heat the maintenance shop.
- Motion-detection lighting installed at many city facilities.
- LED lighting retrofits.
- HVAC system upgradesare included in annual budget process.
- Recognized by the State Electronic Challenge for sustainable electronics purchasing, device management and disposal.
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Policy encourages purchase of efficient equipment.
Green Power Purchase
- Sign up for LPEA's Green Power Purchase Program
Residential and Commercial Energy Efficiency Rebates
- LPEA member efficiency rebates
- Atmos Energy customer rebates and incentives
- Black Hills Energy customer rebates
Financing for Energy Efficiency Upgrades
Income-Qualified Support for Audits and Upgrades
- 4CORE Colorado Affordable Residential Energy program (CARE)
Energy Smart Colorado Assistance
- Residential energy efficiency services for families and homeowners throughout the region through 4CORE