The Community Development Department provides planning, business development, building, engineering, sustainability, code enforcement, and parking services in a professional and friendly manner to enhance and protect the quality of life, sense of community, well-being and prosperity of the city’s residents, businesses and visitors.
Starting on Monday, June 14, 2021, River City Hall will be open to the public. Masks are encouraged when entering the building.
If you do not wish to visit River City Hall in person, we will continue accepting and processing applications for permits and development approvals digitally. If you have a new inquiry, please use the following resources:
- FOR GENERAL COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT INQUIRIES: Call the main phone line at (970) 375-4850.
- FOR BUILDING PERMIT INQUIRIES, INCLUDING APPLICATIONS AND INSPECTIONS: Contact Jackie Cox at Jaclyn.firstname.lastname@example.org or (970) 375-4852.
- FOR ENGINEERING INQUIRIES, INCLUDING EXCAVATION PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS OF PUBLIC IMPROVEMENTS/UTILITIES: Call the main phone line at (970) 375-4850.
- FOR PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT REVIEW INQUIRIES: Email email@example.com or call the main line at (970) 375-4850.
- FOR CODE ENFORCEMENT INQUIRIES: Contact Steve Barkley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (970) 375-4930.
- FOR PARKING ENFORCEMENT INQUIRIES: Call (970) 375-4960.
Payments for applications and permits can be dropped off inside River City Hall, and will also continue to be accepted over the phone by calling the main line (970) 375-4850. Checks will also be accepted at the secure payment drop-box outside River City Hall and should be addressed to the City of Durango and include a detailed description of the project and fee being collected.
COVID-19 Temporary Signage
In 2020, the Interim City Manager signed into order the temporary relaxation of regulations governing signage, such as banners, teardrop banners and sandwich boards, to allow local businesses which are lawfully in operation to advertise their services. Local businesses are encouraged to use additional signage to draw customers while continuing to abide by state and local orders governing business operations and social distancing practices. Please use the links below for more information: