The Community Development Department provides planning, business development, building, engineering, sustainability, code enforcement, and parking services in a professional and friendly manner to enhance and protect the quality of life, sense of community, well-being and prosperity of the city’s residents, businesses and visitors.
Due to a Staff Shortage
Starting on Tuesday, September 21, 2021
River City Hall will be open to the public
From 7:30am until 3:30pm
Phone Calls will Continue to be Answered until 4:30pm
River City Hall staff will continue accepting and processing applications for permits and development approvals digitally. If you have a new inquiry, please use the following resources:
- FOR GENERAL COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT INQUIRIES: Call the main phone line at (970) 375-4850.
- FOR BUILDING PERMIT INQUIRIES, INCLUDING APPLICATIONS AND INSPECTIONS: Contact Jackie Cox at Jaclyn.email@example.com or (970) 375-4852.
- FOR ENGINEERING INQUIRIES, INCLUDING EXCAVATION PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS OF PUBLIC IMPROVEMENTS/UTILITIES: Call the main phone line at (970) 375-4850.
- FOR PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT REVIEW INQUIRIES: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the main line at (970) 375-4850.
- FOR CODE ENFORCEMENT INQUIRIES: Contact Steve Barkley at email@example.com or call (970) 375-4930.
- FOR PARKING ENFORCEMENT INQUIRIES: Call (970) 375-4960.
Payments for applications and permits can be dropped off inside the secured payment drop-box outside River City Hall and will also continue to be accepted over the phone by calling the main line (970) 375-4850. Checks should be addressed to the City of Durango and include a detailed description of the project and fee being collected.
COVID-19 Temporary Signage
In 2020, the Interim City Manager signed into order the temporary relaxation of regulations governing signage, such as banners, teardrop banners and sandwich boards, to allow local businesses which are lawfully in operation to advertise their services. Local businesses are encouraged to use additional signage to draw customers while continuing to abide by state and local orders governing business operations and social distancing practices. Please use the links below for more information: