Parks, Open Space, Trails & Animas River
If it's a park, river trail, open space, or a river float, Durango has the outdoor playground for you! Check out our parks, open space, and trails for the activity that suits your needs.
Please help us maintain the quality of our parks, trails, and open space. Please pick up and properly dispose of your pet's waste. Remember, all dogs must be on a leash on all city lands and trails, except the off-leash area.
Be sure to obtain a Parks, Open Space, and Trails Permit to reserve your favorite facility for organized groups and events. Call (970) 375-7321 for more information.
Winter Closures of Restrooms in the Durango Park System
All restrooms within the Durango Park System will close starting October 31 and will remain closed through the spring until weather permits reopening. Locations for portable toilets through the winter/spring are located at Rotary Park, Horse Gulch Trailhead and Santa Rita Park.
City Managed Tennis Courts
City managed tennis courts are closed! If there is no more intermittent snowfall, the courts will be reopened and available for public use.
- Smith Sports Complex - CLOSED until further notice.
- Jenkins Ranch Park - CLOSED until further notice.
- Mason Center Park - CLOSED until further notice.
Public Lands Seasonal Closures
Durango area public lands are subject to seasonal closure for wildlife, including lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management, Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the City of Durango. The seasonal closure areas include:
Public Lands Subject to Annual Seasonal Closure for Wildlife (PDF)
Seasonal Trail Closures News Release (PDF)
Seasonal Trail Closures in Twin Buttes Map (PDF)
Animas City Mountain Closure Map (PDF)
Grandview Closure Map (PDF)
Grandview and Animas City Mountain Closure News Release (PDF)
Seasonal Closure from December 1 – April 15:
- Twin Buttes Open Space (including the Twin Buttes development)
- Animas City Mountain, the lower 1.5 mile trail loop will remain open for access to Dalla Mountain Park
- Grandview Ridge, the Carbon Junction Trail and Crites Connect Trail will remain open
- Bodo State Wildlife Area, the Smelter Mountain Trail is open year round, but from December 31 to March 31 the trail is only open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with dogs prohibited. At all other times, dogs must be on a leash.
Seasonal Closure from December 1 – July 31:
- Perins Peak State Wildlife Area
- Perins Peak
Areas Open Year Round for Recreational Use:
- City Open Space in Horse Gulch and Raiders Ridge, including the Skyline Trail
- Overend Mountain Park
- Dalla Mountain Park
- Fort Lewis College Rim Trail
- Colorado Trail
Fertilization and Weed Abatement Press Releases for 2019:
- Fertilization and Weed Abatement from April 17, 2019 through May 5, 2019
- City Turf Fertilization Scheduled at Smith Sports Complex April 22, 2019
- Cemetery Tree Spraying from May 13 - 17, 2019
- Weed Abatement from May 20 - 31, 2019
- Elm Tree Root Zone Injections
- Weed Abatement rescheduled for June 17 - 28
- City Turf Fertilization Scheduled at City Parks June 24 - July 3
- Weed Abatement from July 1 - 12, 2019
- Weed Abatement from July 15 - 26, 2019 plus spot treatment until late July
- Weed Abatement at Greenmount Cemetery from August 29 - 30, 2019
- City Turf Fertilization and Weed Abatement from September 17 - October 9