Boards & Commissions

City Boards, Commissions & Committees

The City of Durango has many boards and commissions, each with specific responsibilities as detailed in the City Charter, the City of Durango Code of Ordinances, the Land Use and Development Code, or the enacting resolution. Each board and commission makes recommendations to the City Council and city staff on matters related to its area of responsibility.

Individuals and groups may present issues to any of the advisory boards or commissions, as each provides opportunities for public comment at its meetings.

Becoming a member of a board or commission is an excellent way to become active in the decision-making process of city government and offers citizens an opportunity to provide expertise in areas of individual interest. All positions are voluntary and vary in length of terms and time commitments.


There are no current vacancies, however the city will start the annual process in April 2022 for appointments beginning June 2022. For more information, contact Deputy City Clerk Faye Harmer at (970) 375-5011


Apply online or call (970) 375-5010 to request an application. Submit your application by the deadline on the form. You will be contacted to schedule an interview with members of City Council. Applications are accepted at any time. If you are interested in serving on a board or commission in the future, submit an application and you will be contacted when there are openings.


While some boards and commissions do require members to reside within city limits, some board members may be selected from the unincorporated areas of La Plata County at the discretion of City Council.

An individual's eligibility for any city board or commission may vary depending on the vacancy available at the time. Term expirations occur each January 31st for most boards/commissions and interviews are usually scheduled for late January or early February of each year.

If interested in a board, please submit your application at the first of the year to be considered for an interview by City Council. Occasionally, there will be a vacancy that occurs during the year that the City will put an ad in the paper looking for volunteers if someone moved or had to resign.

More information

For information regarding the appointment process of boards and commissions you may contact the the City Clerk's Office via email, or by calling (970) 375-5010.