The City of Durango promotes Best Management Practices in the stewardship of City lands to ensure the safe enjoyment of parks and open spaces in the community. The City has contracted with Horizon Environmental Services for weed abatement. The herbicides that will be used are: Milestone, 2-4 D Amine, Panoramic 2 SL, Vista XRT, and Sureguard SC depending on species. Applications are conducted to improve the quality of the right-of-ways, parks and open spaces in the City’s system. The weed control is repeatedly tested and approved by the Environmental Protection Agency and Horizon Environmental Services is licensed by the Colorado Department of Agriculture.
Spraying will commence on Monday, July 15, 2019 and continue through Friday, July 26, 2019. Areas that will be treated for weeds are:
- Police Substation at Three Springs
- Southern Open Space at Three Springs
- Skyridge Open Space
- The bar ditch around the perimeter of Hillcrest Golf Club
- The underpass area at Escalante Crossing
- The City parking lot at 20th Street and East 3rd Ave
- The rock area adjacent to the Carnegie building
- The Right of Way along E 2nd Ave between 29th Street and 31st Street
There will also be follow-up spot spraying through late July at the above locations, as well as Chapman Hill, Cundiff Park and the Animas River Trail corridor.
For additional information, contact the Parks and Recreation, Park Maintenance Division at 375-7384.