Explore Durango
Click to Home

Go To Search
<Today's Weather

City of Durango News Flash

Posted on: March 20, 2017

Initial Application Period Set for Vacation Rental Permit Waitlist

Beginning today, through Monday, April 10, 2017, the City of Durango Community Development Department will accept applications from interested property owners to be placed on a waitlist for the opportunity to apply for a Vacation Rental (VR) permit when one becomes available in capped zone districts.

Interested parties who own property in a capped zone district and want to apply to be on the waitlist for a VR permit should submit an application at River City Hall (1235 Camino Del Rio) prior to 4:30 p.m. on Monday, April 10. In order to apply for a waitlist position, a property owner or representative must submit a completed and signed Land Use Application, a $100 fee, and proof of identification. 

After April 10, 2017, City staff will input all applications received during the initial application period into a web-based lottery program. The lottery will be conducted to determine the initial order of the list. The list will be posted to the City’s website.

Initial waitlist positions are only open to individuals or entities who do not currently hold VR permits within the City.

The intent of the program is to provide for a more equitable and clear process related to how VR permits transition when a permit becomes available in a capped neighborhood.

All vacation rentals in the City of Durango are required to obtain a Limited Use Permit prior to establishment or advertisement.  City Council has established a cap on the number of VRs in the EN-1 and EN-2 zone districts to 17 and 22 respectively.  VR permits are non-transferable and expire when a property sells or an owner is out of compliance with licensing or tax reporting requirements. Some zone districts do not have cap restriction and other zones do not allow VRs altogether.  Please reference the City's Land Use and Development Code (LUDC) or call the Community Development Department for more information.

A map showing the locations of legal, permitted vacation rentals in the City of Durango and a list of their contact information is available at www.durangogov.org. Complaints about a vacation rental (permitted or un-permitted), can be submitted to the City’s Code Enforcement Division.

Additional information about the program is available by calling the Community Development Department at (970) 375-4850 or visiting River City Hall (1235 Camino Del Rio) during normal business hours.

View Full News Release
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email