Public Art Program
Durango's Public Art
We envision a community where art is expected.
The City of Durango's public art program is administered by the Public Art Commission (PAC). The public art collection is displayed around Durango in open city-owned areas, inside city-owned facilities, or in areas designed as public areas. View the public art collection plan and map - updated in 2015 (PDF).
Why is Public Art Important?
Public art contributes to a city's visual character, texture, and history. In Durango, it is an essential part of our identity, history, and cultural heritage. Public art contributes to our economic base and enhances the public appreciation of art. Incorporating visual art into our communal spaces fosters our sense of community and challenges us to engage in a meaningful way. We invite you to experience Durango's Public Art.
News and Events
Common Threads- A public art piece created by the community!
The City of Durango received an Artworks Grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. This grant catalyzed a community art project for the 550/160 medians. The piece is called Common Threads. To learn more about the project and get involved go to Durango Common Threads.
Funding for creative community based projects in the North Main and Camino Del Rio Character Districts. Learn more about Durango Creates (PDF).
Economic Impact of Arts and Culture in Durango
6/15/17 According to a study by the Americans for the Arts, Durango's non-profit and public arts and cultural organizations contributed $18.1 million to the local economy in 2015! The City of Durango, Community Concert Hall at Fort Lewis, Durango Arts Center, Durango Chorale Society and STEAM Park funded the Americans for the Arts' Arts & Economic Prosperity 5 Report. This study analyzes the economic impact non-profit and public arts and cultural organizations have on the City of Durango. Twenty-six of the eligible 34 arts organizations participated in the study. Read the full report (PDF)
Goals of the Public Art Program:
(Adopted by the Public Art Commission on December 20, 2013)
Goal 1: Enhance Durango's quality of life by promoting art in public places
- Objective 1: Foster an environment that values artists and artistic expression
- Objective 2: Forge partnerships with community organizations to create opportunities for public art
- Objective 3: Cultivate the community's understanding of public art
Goal 2: Build an artistic legacy that celebrates Durango's unique sense of place
- Objective 1: Ensure a stable source of long-term funding for public art
- Objective 2: Encourage the integration of art in all public spaces
- Objective 3: Establish Durango as a leader in public art programs
Goal 3: Demonstrate responsible stewardship of the City's public art collection
- Objective 1: Preserve the integrity of the collection
- Objective 2: Ensure an open and transparent process for acquisition
- Objective 3: Promote awareness of the collection
Want to take a tour of the City's Collection?
Download the free Tour Durango app and click on the Public Collection.
Connect with us on Facebook!