Applying for a Building Permit
When applying for a permit, you must take the following information into consideration:
- Contractor Requirements - Property owners can list themselves as the contractor on a building permit. All other contractors must have a valid City of Durango Business License.
- Durango Fire Protection District (DFPD) – All multifamily and commercial projects must provide DFPD with a complete submittal, and all new construction in Three Springs and Twin Buttes must pay the DFPD impact fee. This must be completed prior to applying for a building permit with the City of Durango, and applicants must provide a DFPD receipt with the permit application. Plans need to be submitted directly to the DFPD at:
104 Sheppard Dr.
Durango, CO 81301
Phone: (970) 382-6000
- Engineering Department Review – To include review of water lines, sewer lines, backflow prevention, stormwater drainage, and to determine if any public improvements will be required as a result of your building permit submittal.
- Permit Status - To check the status of your building permit application, you will need to call (970) 375-4852. You will need to have the address and the owner's name.
- Planning Department Review – Zoning, parking, and landscaping requirements of the Land Use and Development Code are applied and Planning processes may be required as a result of your building permit submittal.
- Plumbing and Electrical – Homeowners can do their own plumbing and electrical work, but if a plumber or electrician is used they must by licensed by the State of Colorado. Commercial property owners cannot complete the work on their own; they must use a licensed plumber and electrician. Electrical permits are issued by the State of Colorado.
- Submittals – Click here to download an editable PDF of the building permit application to fill out or print. All submittals require an application, two sets of plans (when plans are necessary as determined by the type of permit), and (if project is commercial or multi-family) a set of digital plans. Incomplete submittals will not be accepted. The minimum review time for building permit applications is 7 days for residential projects and 10 days for commercial projects, assuming no other processes are determined necessary during departmental reviews. Fees are due at the time the permit is picked up. There is no submittal fee. Call (970)375-4852 with any questions. Submittals shall be provided to:
River City Hall
1235 Camino del Rio
Durango, CO 81301